Wednesday, September 4, 2013

When weird trends collide

My investigations of old cookbooks have revealed some weird ideas about pizza and others about the proper use of the French fry.

Yes, but what do these facts have to do with each other? If you know old cookbooks, you've probably already guessed what Good Housekeeping's Keep Cool Cookbook (1971) has in store:


Is this some kind of alien sunflower with a huge center and tiny petals? Is it an upturned mammoth arthropod, helplessly waving its limbs in the air and hoping some kind soul will flip it over so it can latch onto that idiot's body to drink all the vital fluids?

Maybe it's scary, but it's not quite that scary:


Yes, it's a pizza with a French fry crust! I have to admit I'm a little intrigued. I could almost see myself trying the mushroom variation sometime just to say I did, but even fantasy me doesn't really want to cut frozen fries into 1-1/2 inch pieces to stand up along the edge of a pan (and never mind that only my fantasy self has a Baklava pan). I'm pretty sure I wouldn't really need ten servings, either.... I think I will just leave this for my fantasy self to imagine making.

No comments:

Post a Comment