Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Don't honor me with celery and mayo

It's April! Time again for Betty Crocker's Cooking Calendar (1962). I'm glad that we have some better produce for the month than onions, lemons, and grapefruit:


Carrots and pineapples! I like them alone or in combination, such as in carrot cake. When I saw the pairing, I was hoping that Betty would offer one of the Jell-O recipes that I secretly like (Don't tell anybody!) and used to make at least occasionally. You may know it from Joys of Jell-O (1963):


The chapter didn't disappoint; there WAS a carrot-and-pineapple gelatin salad recipe, but it was not quite the same:















The "Dinner for Honored Guests" sounds pleasant, if not particularly unique: steaks with mushrooms, potatoes, broccoli, rolls, and lemon meringue pie.

If guests couldn't feel genuinely honored without a molded salad, though, then this one should be memorable. Not only does it have the standard ingredients, but it also adds celery, cottage cheese, whipped cream, and mayonnaise.

While I have no objections to being honored with whipped cream(!), I'd rather be dishonored than made to contend with celery, cottage cheese, and mayo in my sweet salad mold. Perhaps I have insufficient respect for gelatin salad etiquette.

No comments:

Post a Comment